Monday, July 13, 2015



Hey guys!
Today's blog post is not going to be a regular fashion post! Although I love fashion I also quite enjoy psychology as well and in today's post I am going to be talking about PERSONA.

PERSONA:
- Social role/character played by an actor.
- Character assumed by author in written work.

I've always wondered why people hate on certain celebrities: Lady Gaga, Nikki Minaj, Beyonce...etc based on their personas. Maybe because we sometimes confuse persona with personality. Although the two words sound the same, the meanings are completely different!
Persona is someone's public image/public personality, while personality is the inner "self". I feel like with so much use of social media, it's really easy to create your own persona and people will believe that's who you really are. Let's put it this way: my different personas are revealed in my blog photos by how I pose and what I'm wearing, while my personality is revealed in how I communicate/write in my blog posts. I think persona is just like a different version of oneself; There's the school me, the home me, the party me...etc. It's like wearing different hats for different locations/situations. Persona is like the person you wish to portray to the world everyday and usually its different from personality traits. For example, if someone has 'shyness' as a trait in their personality, they might give themselves a really loud/outgoing persona with friends but return back to being shy person with strangers (me). That's why I could never understand why people hate on a celeb they have never even talked to before. I mean how could you hate someone you've never even met?

The concept of persona is used in music where the persona is built between the song lyrics and its composer. Almost all musicians uses the concept of personas to market/promote their music; every time they release a new song/album they also create a new concept and with that a persona. 
I find it interesting how a lot of rappers have that tough/player persona while in reality they're pretty genuine and a nice people. The concept of persona is also used in the fashion industry! Designers can't design clothes based on personalities; that's way too complicated. Instead. they design clothes based on what persona they want to target, e.g. Chanel targets the classy/ladylike persona, while in contrast, MOSCHINO targets the hip hop/funky outgoing persona. Just by knowing which personas each brand targets, you can use that persona to get hired because most brands want their workers to represent their company.  

I hope you guys found this post interesting and maybe you learned something new about how PERSONAS work. I think having different personas are great because it let's people explore and experiment all aspects of themselves!



Thank you so much for reading & I'll talk to you guys very soon!

Stay on Top of the World
- Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment