Hey
everyone!
For today's post, I want to share my top 10 tips on how to be a
smarter shopper. This will be a part of a new series I am going to start, where I will be giving any
tips I can for a general of things.
Now that I've got the intro out of the way, let's talk SHOPPING;
my favourite subject in the entire world! I know a lot of people, (including
myself) LOVE shopping but sometimes shopping can cause some damage to the piggy bank.Come
on! I think we've all been there. Those days where your shopping with friends
and you're having the time of your life...and then POOF! You're at home and you find out
you have spent every penny in your pocket. This could have been because of the
impulse buys at the counter or the items that might have been a little
overpriced, but either way, I always feel torn because I love everything I purchased but was it really
worth the money? Obviously if I were rich I would buy everything I wanted, including the whole store, but let's
face it: no one does that...not even celebrities.
Without further ado,
Here are my top 10 tips on to be a smart shopper:
1. Head to the sale section first!
This tip is pretty self explanatory, but I can't stress enough to
you guys how much amazing deals you can actually find in the sales section. When I walk into a store, I
head straight to the sales section first. Okay, I lied: I do quickly browse through the new merchandise
but end up going to the sales section to check out what they have. But seriously,
don't be afraid to dig through the messy racks
because you'll never know what you find!
2. Wear things in a different way
Clothes are meant to be versatile! If you find an amazing shirt that is too long, wear it as a dress! Buy a shirt from the kids' section and wear it as a crop top! Don't let the label stop you from thinking out side of the box. If you find something you love and it doesn't quite fit for what it's suppose to fit, think of a different way to wear it instead :)
3. Shop in the kids section?!?
Yes, you've read that right. Haven't you noticed how the kids' apparel is always cheaper than the adult appeal? Some
stores even have the exact same item in both the kids and adult sizes, like
ZARA. For me, I would rather buy an kids XL leather jacket for $50 than buy the
exact jacket in XS women for $100.
4. Invest in essentials
Where you want to invest your money is up to you, but I really
suggest investing in essentials or something you know you will wear/use a lot.
pieces that can be very versatile are a staple in anyone's closet. Just make
sure to splurge on a piece that will never go out of style. (ex. plain white tee, dark
skinny jeans, black boots, all black/white dress...etc.)
5. Ask yourself, " How many times will I wear this?"
There have been many incidents where I have purchased a piece that
did not match with anything I already owned. The item usually ends up not being
worn, collecting dust in the back of my closet. To avoid the same mistake, I
always make sure I can pair the item with at least 3 other things in my closet before purchasing. If you can't
picture what you own mentally, try having a picture of your closet on hand.
6. Make a list
Making a list of pieces you are looking for, it really helps me avoid impulse buys. I like to
divide my list into 2 sections: pieces I need to buy and pieces I want and am currently looking for. The list is always
on my phone so I can view while I am shopping.
7. Always keep your receipts
This is something I am still working on because I have a tendency
to throw away my receipt right after my purchase. Keeping receipts can really
come in handy, just in case you change your mind about your purchase. My tip is
to keep the tag on until you actually wear your new shirt and to keep all your
receipts together in a small box or envelope.
8. Search for the best deal
What I mean by this is: Don't just buy the first thing you see;
always try to find a better deal somewhere else. For example, if I were looking for a
green military jacket I would look at every store and compare the
prices, I might even look online. This way, I would have more options to choose
from.
9. Don't buy something just because it's trendy
It's okay to try the latest new trends, but you shouldn't try it just because everyone one else is doing it. You should only try it if you actually like it! For example, I know Birkenstocks are suppose to be "on trend" since every fashion blogger and celebrity seems to be rockin' them, but I think they're hideous and not very flattering for the feet. Remember, don't force yourself to love what everyone else is wearing, trends come and go but your own style doesn't.
10. Double check before you check out
I know it sounds like a pain in the butt, but it's for the best. If you don't double check for flaws, you might come home with a defected shirt. Always try to check for holes, rips, and uneven seams on clothes/bags before purchasing to make sure your purchase is in the best condition. Even though all the shirts are replicas of each other they will all be a little different.
Shopping is great! But not when it leads to regretful purchases
and bills on our doorsteps. These are some of the tips that really helped me become a
better shopper to make better
decisions when purchasing.
I hope you guys found this helpful and thanks for reading!
Stay on top of the World
- Kelly


No comments:
Post a Comment